Map Layer Options
9 MIN BEGINNER ADDING MAP LAYERS, CHANGE LAYER ORDER, LAYER GROUPS, EDIT STYLING
In the Spotzi Mapbuilder it is possible to add several layers. You can either add an empty data layer and draw points, lines or polygons on the map yourself or you can import location data and add a layer made from this data to your map. Please read further to learn how to add maps layers, change the layer order or how to create a layer group.
Adding map layers
There are many ways to add new map layers. You can create a new map layer by adding a dataset or map layer from an external source (WMS). If you wish to draw your own point, lines or polygons, you need to start with creating an empty new layer.
Adding an empty new layer
1. Do you want to create an empty layer in order to add a point, line or polygon yourself? Press the ADD LAYER button.
2. Select the option to create a new empty dataset. Press NEXT STEP to confirm.
3. Name your new layer and your table. Press ADD LAYER to confirm.
Keep in mind that you can only draw one feature type per layer. That means that if you have created a new map layer with points, you can only add additional points to this layer. If you want to add lines or polygons you have to create another layer.
Adding a layer from your Data
1. If you want to add a layer that depicts data from one of your datasets, press the ADD LAYER button again.
2. Select the option to choose one of your existing datasets from your account. Press NEXT STEP to confirm.
3. Name your new layer and select the dataset that you want to add to your map. Press ADD LAYER to confirm.
Adding a WMS/WFS/WCS layer
Spotzi also offers the possibilty to add a WMS (Web Map Service), WFS (Web Feature Service) or WCS (Web Coverage Service). These web services allow you to visualize a map straight from the source/database. The only thing you need to access these web services is a WMS/WFS or WCS URL that will establish the connection between the database and Spotzi. For this example let’s use the following WMS URL that will allow us to create all mussel- and oyster habitats in the Netherlands.
1. Press the ADD LAYER button.
2. Select the option to use an external data source. Press the NEXT STEP button to confirm.
3. Enter the WMS, WFS or WCS URL. Press the ADD LAYER button to confirm.
4.Congratulations! You have successfully added a WMS to your map.
Keep in mind that, in case you add several layers, a WMS (Web Map Service) will always remain the topmost layer, regardless of the order in which you add your layers. You will also not be able to drag a WMS layer to a different position.
Change layer order
Sometimes you have added several data layers to your map and want to prioritize one or more of them. It is for example convenient to place a point layer above a polygon layer. If you did not add your layers in the correct order in the first place you can change the layer order. Read further to learn how.
1. To change the layer order on the console on the left hand side hover your cursor over the map layer you want to change. Drag the map layer to the right position.
2. You have changed the layer order.
Create a layer group
Have you created a map with multiple data layers that you want to group in a particular category? In that case the grouping of data layers might be an interesting feature for you. This functionality allows you to categorize your layers into groups. In this example we will group the layers with shop locations and we will group the real estate statistics by postal code.
1. In this visualization we can see two point layers with supermarkets and metro stations in Amsterdam. There is also an area layer with real estate statistics by 6-digit postal code. In this example we will create a group of the point layers and a group with the real estate statistics.
2. Click ADD LAYER/GROUP button.
3. Name your group and click CREATE GROUP.
4. Drag and drop the map layers into the particular group.
5. Create more groups for your other data layers.
6. You have successfully created multiple data layer groups. This allows turn multiple map layers on/off at once.
Select active layer
The Spotzi Mapbuilder allows you to add multiple layers to your map. All map layers and their corresponding map layer options can be accessed in the console on the left hand side. If you have multiple layers, the green layer icon indicates which layer you are currently editing.
Rename a map layer
If you want to rename your layer, click on the title of your particular layer.
Now a field will appear, in which you can type the new name. After changing the name, press SAVE.
Adjust layer visibility
In order to make a map layer invisible click the icon that resembles an eye. Your map layer will disappear.
To delete a layer from your map press the button that resembles a bin. A pop up screen, in which you are asked if you want to delete the layer, will appear.
Confirm by clicking the DELETE LAYER button.