Add layers to your map
access_time 8 MIN | fiber_manual_record BEGINNER | label TRAINING, MAPS, FUNDAMENTALS, ADD MAP LAYERS, MAP LAYER ORDER, LAYER GROUPS
When you have a map you can add more layers to this map. To do this click the ‘Add layer/group +’ button, which is located underneath the layer name(s) in your map.
There are different layers with their own results. The following options are currently available in the Mapbuilder:
This option will create a total new map and connected dataset. After creating this new map you can choose between 3 different geometery types:
|Layer from your data||With this option you can add a data layer from your account.|
|Layer from an external source||With this option you can add a layer from a WMS, WFS or WCS URL.|
Did you know…
Each map can hold a maximum of 8 layers in total. Keep this in mind when you are planning to visualize big projects.
Adding an Empty New Map Layer
1. Do you want to create an empty layer in order to add a point, line or polygon yourself? Press the ADD LAYER button.
2. Select the option to create a new empty dataset. Press NEXT STEP to confirm.
3. Name your new layer and your table. Press ADD LAYER to confirm.
Keep in mind that you can only draw one feature type per layer. That means that if you have created a new map layer with points, you can only add additional points to this layer. If you want to add lines or polygons you have to create another layer.
Adding a layer from your Data
1. If you want to add a layer that depicts data from one of your datasets, press the ADD LAYER button again.
2. Select the option to choose one of your existing datasets from your account. Press NEXT STEP to confirm.
3. Name your new layer and select the dataset that you want to add to your map. Press ADD LAYER to confirm.
Adding a WMS/WFS/WCS layer
Spotzi also offers the possibilty to add a WMS (Web Map Service), WFS (Web Feature Service) or WCS (Web Coverage Service). These web services allow you to visualize a map straight from the source/database. The only thing you need to access these web services is a WMS/WFS or WCS URL that will establish the connection between the database and Spotzi. For this example let’s use the following WMS URL that will allow us to create all mussel- and oyster habitats in the Netherlands.
1. Press the ADD LAYER button.
2. Select the option to use an external data source. Press the NEXT STEP button to confirm.
3. Enter the WMS, WFS or WCS URL. Press the ADD LAYER button to confirm.
4. You have successfully added a WMS to your map.
Keep in mind that, in case you add several layers, a WMS (Web Map Service) will always remain the topmost layer, regardless of the order in which you add your layers. You will also not be able to drag a WMS layer to a different position.
Changing the layer order
1. To change the layer order on the console on the left hand side hover your cursor over the map layer you want to change. Drag the map layer to the right position.
2. You have changed the layer order.
Create Layer Group
Have you created a map with multiple data layers that you want to group in a particular category? In that case the grouping of data layers might be an interesting feature for you. This functionality allows you to categorize your layers into groups. In this example we will group the layers with shop locations and we will group the real estate statistics by postal code.
1. In this visualization we can see two point layers with supermarkets and metro stations in Amsterdam. There is also an area layer with real estate statistics by 6-digit postal code. In this example we will create a group of the point layers and a group with the real estate statistics.
2. Click ADD LAYER/GROUP button.
3. Name your group and click CREATE GROUP.
4. Drag and drop the map layers into the particular group.
5. Create more groups for your other data layers.
6. You have successfully created multiple data layer groups. This allows turn multiple map layers on/off at once.