How to create a QLIK Sense visualization?
access_time 5 MIN | fiber_manual_record INTERMEDIATE | label QLIK SENSE DESKTOP, CREATE QLIK SENSE VISUALIZATION
We often get questions on how to create a map visualization in QLIK Sense desktop. The Spotzi DataShop contains lots of data sets that can help you to create a mapped out visualization of your data. Our data sets contain a geometry that are used to draw areas like ZIP codes in your QLIK Sense software.
Which geographical data formats does QLIK Sense accept?
QLIK Sense accepts the following geographical file formats:
- KML (.kml) for boundary files
- CSV/Excel files with a longitude and latitude value
In the Spotzi DataShop we offer lots of location data you can import into your QLIK Sense software. We offer data like:
Database with 100+ KML Files
Spotzi has a large Datashop with a lot of KML (.kml) datasets with demographics, consumer spending, ZIP code boundaries, real estate data, addresses, business listings and many more. Our Datashop offers a one-stop-shop solution where you can browse through all our datasets and order them directly from our shop.
How do I create a QLIK Sense visualization with Spotzi data?
Did you find a data set you like in our DataShop? Please follow these steps to import our KML files and create your very own QLIK sense visualization.
- After you bought your data set, you can export your data to a KML file. Like mentioned earlier, please make sure that the column that contains the ZIP code has the title “name”.
- Create a new app.
- Name your app and click CREATE.
- Click OPEN APP.
- Drag you KML file into your app or go to data manager in the upper left corner and select the KML from your computer.
- Now you will see the columns from your KML file. Select the name and area column and click ADD DATA.
- After your import is done, click the particular data set and click LOAD DATA in the upper right corner.
- After your data was loaded successfully, click on EDIT THE SHEET to open your visualization where you can add your map.
- Drag a map chart to your sheet.
- Now drag the field item with the geometry to your map. This is in most cases the field that ends with “.Area”.
- Click ADD A NEW LAYER > ADD AS AREA LAYER.
- Remember that QLIK Sense will limit the number of areas. If you want to change this, go to the particular area layer and click OPTIONS > GENERAL and set the number of max. visible objects to a number more than 1000.
- Show labels by clicking the switch. Select the field that ends with “.Name” to visualize the postal codes.
- You have successfully created a QLIK Sense visualization with Spotzi data.
Are there any limitations?
- Remember that QLIK Sense is not a dedicated location analytics tool. Large data sets are working, but may work very slow. When you want to import a KML like ZIP code boundary, please make sure that you dissolve your data set or limit the number of areas you want to show by dividing large data sets into multiple sets (for example, divide the US 5-digit ZIP code map by state or pick a 2-digit ZIP code map instead).
- Qlik Sense automatically limits the number of areas to 1000. If you want to change this, go to the particular area layer and click OPTIONS > GENERAL and set the number of max. visible objects to a number more than 1000. Remember that this is a built-in way of QLIK Sense to make sure that the software works effortlessly. If you increase this number, the QLIK Sense software will work slower.
- You can only import one name column besides the geometry column that will draw areas on the map. So if you want to import a ZIP code file, please make sure that you give the column with the ZIP code the title “name”. By giving the ZIP code column the title “name”, QLIK Sense will know that this is the column that names the area. If you want to add more data, you need to associate these tables into the data manager of your app.