How to draw a map?
access_time 5 MIN | fiber_manual_record BEGINNER | label MAP, DRAW MAP, CREATE MAP FROM SCRATCH, CREATE MAP FROM FILE
Creating maps in the Spotzi Mapbuilder can be done by simply drawing a point on the map. It is also possible to create maps by importing files with a geometry like shapefiles or KMLs. In the Spotzi Mapbuilder you can simply create maps in two ways:
Quick tip! Start with maps and data from the Spotzi Datashop
Did you know that Spotzi also has a datashop with premium and free maps/data that is instantly added to your Mapbuilder account? Just visit our Datashop and select one of our maps.
1. Login to your Mapbuilder account or register.
Create map from scratch
1. If you want to create a map from scratch and draw a point, line or polygon yourself. Click the CREATE MAP FROM SCRATCH button.
2. Name your new map and dataset. Click CREATE MAP to confirm.
Add a point, line or polygon to your map
1. Now you have created a new map. It is time to add a map feature to your map (point, line or polygon). Once you have opened the map, click your new layer. Your map doesn’t contain any geometry yet. That’s why the Spotzi Mapbuilder will give you a notification to add a point, line or polygon to your map. Click the map feature you want to add.
2. Now click a location on the map.
3. After you clicked a certain location on the map, you can confirm you location by clicking the SAVE button. Not completely satisfied? In that case you can drag and drop your point, line or polygon to your beloved location.
4. Now you have successfully added a map feature to your map. Now you can choose to add more map features to your map or add extra data to the map.
Keep in mind that you can only pick one feature type per layer. That means that if you have created a new map layer with points, you can only add additional points to this layer. If you want to add lines or polygons you have to create another layer.
When you Start from a new file
When you choose to start from a new file you can import all kinds of files. You can import a dataset with a geometry but it is also possible to import a CSV/Excel with addresses that you want to geocode. In the Spotzi Mapbuilder you can choose to import the following files:
- Importing boundary data with a geoJSON, Shapefile, KML or GPX file
- Importing a CSV/Excel with geometry
- Importing a CSV/Excel with addresses to geocode
- Importing a CSV/Excel without geometry
Please read more about importing data in our documentation about importing location data.