How to import a shapefile into Excel 3D Maps?
access_time 1 MIN | fiber_manual_record INTERMEDIATE | label EXCEL 3D MAPS, IMPORT SHAPEFILE INTO EXCEL 3D MAPS
Did you just download a Shapefile? Or did you just order a Shapefile from the Spotzi Datashop and do you want to import these shapfiles into Excel 3D Maps? Read the following instruction:
- Make sure you download both the CSV and the shapefile of your map. For more information on how to export the data, please visit this page about exporting Spotzi data.
- Open the CSV of your data first.
- Now you will see that the CSV contains large rows of text which is caused by the geometry (the_geom column). We will first split the text into columns and delete these geometry columns. We won’t need these because we will add a shapefile with the geometry later.
- Now open a new Excel file and open 3D Maps. This will open up a Google Earth kind of globe.
- Now go to custom regions in the upper bar, import a new set and pick your shapefile (or a KML if you have one).
- Pick the column that contains the area name and press import.
- You did it! Now you have added the regions to your 3D maps.
- To actually show something on the map you need to add data to the empty Excel file you created a 3D Map from. Therefore you need the data from the CSV you splitted earlier. So go back to your splitted CSV and copy the data to the empty Excel file.
- Select the data and go to the following button: INSERT > 3D MAPS > ADD SELECTED DATA TO 3D MAPS.
- Now the 3D Maps interface will open up.
- Add a location field. In our case we choose the ZIP.
- Choose the way you want to show your data on the map. In this case we will choose the custom regions (.kml, .shp) we have just imported.
- Now change the view to regions.
- You did it! You have successfully imported a Shapefile into Excel 3D Maps.
Database with 100+ Shapefiles
Spotzi has a large Datashop with a lot of Shapefile (.shp) datasets with demographics, consumer spending, ZIP code boundaries, real estate data, addresses, business listings and many more. Our Datashop offers a one-stop-shop solution where you can browse through all our datasets and order them directly from our shop.