How to import a Shapefile into QLIK Sense?
access_time 5 MIN | fiber_manual_record INTERMEDIATE | label QLIK SENSE MAPS, SHAPEFILE, IMPORT SHAPEFILE INTO QLIK SENSE
A shapefile is often used to draw areas like postal codes in any location analytics tool. Unfortunately, QLIK Sense doesn’t support shapefiles into its software. That’s why you need to convert your shapefile to KML first. You can do this with lots of location data tools like the Spotzi Mapbuilder. Just import your zipped shapefile and export the same data to a KML file. Got a postal code boundary map? Please give the column with the postal code the header “name” first to make sure that QLIK Sense also imports the ZIP code column. After you have exported your data to KML, please follow these steps:
- After you bought your data set, you can export your data to a KML file. Please make sure that the column that contains the ZIP code has the title “name”.
- Create a new app.
- Name your app and click CREATE.
- Click OPEN APP.
- Drag you KML file into your app or go to data manager in the upper left corner and select the KML from your computer.
- Now you will see the columns from your KML file. Select the name and area column and click ADD DATA.
- After your import is done, click the particular data set and click LOAD DATA in the upper right corner.
- After your data was loaded successfully, click on EDIT THE SHEET to open your visualization where you can add your map.
- Drag a map chart to your sheet.
- Now drag the field item with the geometry to your map. This is in most cases the field that ends with “.Area”.
- Click ADD A NEW LAYER > ADD AS AREA LAYER.
- Remember that QLIK Sense will limit the number of areas. If you want to change this, go to the particular area layer and click OPTIONS > GENERAL and set the number of max. visible objects to a number more than 1000.
- Show labels by clicking the switch. Select the field that ends with “.Name” to visualize the postal codes.
- You have successfully created a QLIK Sense visualization with Spotzi data.
Database with 100+ Shapefiles
Spotzi has a large Datashop with a lot of shapefiles (.shp) datasets with demographics, consumer spending, ZIP code boundaries, real estate data, addresses, business listings and many more. Our Datashop offers a one-stop-shop solution where you can browse through all our datasets and order them directly from our shop.