How to Import a Shapefile into QLIK Sense?
Shapefiles are often used within location analytics tools to display the boundaries of areas such as cities, postal codes, and even buildings. Unfortunately, QLIK Sense doesn't support the use of shapefiles. This means that any shapefile you'd like to use within QLIK Sense must first be converted into a KML. This is easily done by importing your zipped shapefile into Spotzi Mapbuilder — or a location data tool of your choice — and re-exporting your file's data as a KML file instead.
How to import a shapefile into QLIK Sense? [Guide]
If you'd like to visualize a series of postal code boundaries on your map please make sure that your postal code column's header is set to "name"; this helps ensure that QLIK Sense imports this column correctly. After your data has been converted into a KML please continue by following the steps below.
- Create a new app.
- Name your app, and click CREATE.
- Click OPEN APP.
- Drag you KML file into your app. You can also import it by opening your data manager (found in the upper left-hand corner) and selecting your KML file from there.
- Select your KML file's name and area columns, then click ADD DATA. Give these a moment to import.
- Select your dataset and click LOAD DATA.
- Click on EDIT THE SHEET to open your visualization. This is where you can add your map.
- Drag a map chart to your sheet.
- Now drag the field item with your geometry to your map; this field's name is likely to end with ".Area".
- Click ADD A NEW LAYER > ADD AS AREA LAYER. Note: QLIK Sense will automatically limit your number of areas — to change this, go to your area layer and select OPTIONS > GENERAL to set the "max. visible objects" at over 1000.
- See your labels by clicking the switch, and select the field ending in ".Name" to visualize the postal codes.
- Congratulations! You have successfully created a QLIK Sense visualization using Spotzi data.
Spotzi 4-digit Boundaries of the Netherlands in QLIK Sense
A must-have geomarketing package
Spotzi offers all-in-one dashboards that streamline audience targeting and data analysis — allowing professionals to gain new, actionable insights without having to devote time to complex data management. Our 3-step solution is designed to help you quickly target your best-fit customers. Use our dashboards and premium data sources to gain new insights and realize new campaigns. Contact us for more information or take a look at our plans.