How to edit a map feature?
10 MIN BEGINNER DATA, EDIT DATA, MAP FEATURE, EDIT DATA FROM THE MAP
The Spotzi Mapbuilder allows you to edit data of a map feature directly in the map. Just click any feature on the map and select the edit data button. Here you have the following options:
Once you have added this extra column, you can choose to add:
With this feature you can create beautiful maps with images/videos and PDF files. A great example of these features can be read in our Branded Cities case study.
Edit the data of a particular feature
Imagine that you are a manager of a small restaurant chain in New York City. In this case the Spotzi Mapbuilder might definitely be the right tool for you, because you are able to plot every restaurant location on the map (or geocode your Excel file with restaurant locations) and attach more information like images and PDFs to every location.
In this example, we will change some information first. Follow the instructions below to edit the data of a map feature.
1. Go to one of your maps and click on the map feature of which you want to change the data.
2a. A menu will open on the left side. Here you can edit the text of that particular feature.
2b1. You can also choose to use the more advanced text editor. You can access this editor by clicking on the pencil button.
2b2. This advanced text editor allows you to add headings, make texts bold, underline, change text size, change fonts and edit the text color. This editor also allows you to add:
- Bullet points
- HTML code
3. After changing the text, press APPLY to confirm.
4. Great! You have successfully changed the text of this particular map feature.
Keep in mind!
Remember that when you are editing your data like this, you are actually editing the dataset. That means that if there are more maps connected to this particular dataset, the feature you have edited will have changed in the other maps as well.
Adding more columns to a feature
Do you want to add more fields to a specific location? In that case you have to add another column. In the Spotzi Mapbuilder you can just click the location or area and add extra fields. Remember that every column you add to a point, line or polygon will also be added to the whole dataset.
1. Click the EDIT DATA button in the infowindow.
2. Now a list with all fields will open. Click the +ADD COLUMN button.<
3. Give your new column a name and pick a data type. You can choose to add the following options:
- Image (JPG/PNG/SVG/GIF max. 1MB, Image URL)
- Video (MP4 max. 8MB, Youtube link)
- Boolean (true/false)
- PDF (PDF max. 8MB, PDF URL)
- Single lookup field
- Multiple lookup field
4. Click ADD COLUMN to confirm.
5. You have successfully added a new column.
Available Data Types
A location on the map will come to life when you add more content to it. Adding extra fields to a specific location/area allows you to do this. In the list below you can find out more about every option.
Whether you want to add a name or a whole description. You can add every text you like and give your text the styling you need.
A picture says more than a 1000 words. Whether you want to add a picture of your businesses or if you want to pinpoint some of the holiday photos you made. You are able to upload an image or enter any image URL. Keep in mind that the images you want to import don’t exceed the 1MB upload limit.
Want to be able to watch videos directly in an infowindow? Like a business video or maybe to pinpoint any holiday videos on the map. Use a video field. This option allows you to add videos to the map. Upload MP4 videos (max. 8MB) or enter any Youtube link. Below you can read how to add videos to your map.
2. Click the ADD VIDEO + button.
3. Upload a video or enter a Youtube URL. Click INSERT VIDEO to confirm.
4. Select your videos and press ADD VIDEO to confirm.
5. You have successfully added a video to your map.
A boolean is essentially just a field with a true or false value. This can be used when you have fields that can be answered with yes or no. For example when a restaurant is closed or when you want to turn a location on/off.
The datetime field can be used to enter a day and time. This can be used to enter the date of the last update, but also opening hours of businesses.
The numbers field allows you to add different values to a map feature. These number fields can be used for creating range-based maps.
Do you have any PDF documents like turnover reports that you want to connect to a business location? In that case this field might come in handy. Upload PDF files to the Spotzi Mapbuilder or enter a download link.
Do you have another dataset or Excel file with values that you also want to use in your map? Use a lookup field. A great way to use values from another dataset. For example when you have a list of employees that you have to assign to different locations.
1. Select the lookup field option. Select the dataset and the specific column that you want to use.
2. Click ADD COLUMN to confirm.
3. Now you have successfully added a lookup field to your map. You can now select multiple names from another dataset and add them to that particular feature.